The magazine is published monthly (with a combined June/July issue) in print and PDF editions. We have an active and growing website with special web-only features focusing on timely topics, as well as special selections from the Friends Journal archives. We are seeking to publish more themed issues and to encourage and cultivate new writers and fresh topics.
By submitting to Friends Journal, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the legal agreement found at http://www.friendsjournal.org/legal. Advertising reservation deadlines typically occur a few days after our editorial deadlines; check our Advertising page for specific dates.
Click to learn more or submit:
- Forum: Reader responses, limited to 300 words.
- Viewpoints: short general reflections of 600-800 words.
- Poetry: We generally publish 2-3 poems in each issue. Please use this form for all poetry, even poems that might be intended for specific issues.
- Art and Photographs (Flickr): If you wish to send us graphic material that's not attached to any article, please feel free to join our Flickr group.
- Departments: Shorter articles (about 1,000 words or less) found toward the back of each issue that focus on one of our current Department categories, including Earthcare, Friends in Business, History, Reflection, Faith and Practice, and Witness. Click through to see the full list.
- News Items: News, press releases, and reports from events.
- Book Reviews: We do not accept unsolicited book reviews. Review copies of books by Quaker authors or of interest to Friends Journal readers may be mailed to our address, "Attn: Book Review Editor." If you would like to become a reviewer, please contact us.
- Milestones: Births, adoptions, marriages/unions, and deaths.
- Quaker Works: semiannual feature dedicated to connecting Friends Journal readers to the good works of Quaker organizations; the column is published in the April and October issues each year. Organizations must meet certain criteria in order to be included; click through for details.
Feature submissions and upcoming topics:Feature articles generally run from 1,200 to 2,500 words. Most of our issues are now themed, though we keep two issues a year un-themed in order to highlight extraordinary articles. If your article does not fit one of our upcoming issues, you can submit it as a "General Feature Submission." Check out our past themes or suggest future ones.
What would your meeting do with $1 million?
A beloved elderly member has passed away, leaving $1 million to the meeting. How do you manage the windfall? Deadline is 10/24/2016.
Please see the contest webpage for more details: http://www.friendsjournal.org/weathering-the-windfall-contest/